Sunday, February 20

Urge for Going - Gone

For my final project before leaving on Friday for a monthlong meditation retreat, I put together a mixed media hyperlinked piece incorporating prose and illustrations from my gallery. It put these past 2 months into narrative form, with pretty pictures.

I thought it would be the summum bonum of my recent work, tying everything together into one beautiful, harmonious package. I loved it so.

While I was proofreading it and checking the hyperlinks to make sure everything was just so, the slightest possible error (a mistaken keyboard shortcut) closed the window with the unsubmitted form. When I re-opened the window and went back, the form was empty.

Reminds me of the Prajnaparamita Heart Sutra: Oh Shariputra, form is emptiness and emptiness is form...

It was a sign, a portent, a lesson, a joke, the perfect period to an imperfect life sentence.

I won't be attempting to reconstruct this piece. It was called "Urge for Going: An Illustrated Story of Dukkha and Its Cessation." I apologized to Joni Mitchell for stealing her title, and explained to Constant Reader that it should be considered an "Apologia Pro Mi Vita." I even included links to the guitar tablature and lyrics to "Urge for Going" and the dictionary.com definition of "apologia."

Form is emptiness, and emptiness is form.

Fortunately, I'm laughing (quietly) about it. Rueful laughter is still laughter, and this morning, I'll take laughter in nearly any (empty) form.

Urge for Going --- began like this [edited slightly for clarity]:

"Today is Sunday, the 20th day of February.

"I leave for a monthlong meditation retreat at Cloud Mountain Retreat Center in Washington on Friday February 25th..."

---------------------------------------- ---------------

I dedicate "Urge for Going" to everyone who would have read it.

Now I'm going to start my sitting meditation practice, as I try to do each and every morning. There are still seven minutes before noon.

I am not going to be become silent on Friday. I'm going to become silence.

I post this now without proofreading it.

Comments:
I guess I'm not understanding what happened, but I'm very sorry it did.
You dont have a copy of it on HD anywhere?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?