Wednesday, November 17

from Notes from the Underground


Thank you, Project Gutenberg, for facilitating this latest entry in my ongoing project, "Literature I Should Have Read A Long Time Ago, But Better Late Than Never."

Here's a choice bit from the diatribe in Dostoyevsky's "Notes from the Underground."

Oh, gentlemen, do you know, perhaps I consider myself an intelligent man, only because all my life I have been able neither to begin nor to finish anything. Granted I am a babbler, a harmless vexatious babbler, like all of us. But what is to be done if the direct and sole vocation of every intelligent man is babble, that is, the intentional pouring of water through a sieve?


The Underground Man would have made a great blogger.

Comments:
Brian,
Thank you for this link. It has been many a year since I have read a book for pleasure and not spiritual study. There are many that I would like to read that, like you, I should've read a long time ago. If only I'd been Mindful while growing up. :)
Loved the quote!

With Metta
Sandra
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?