Wednesday, October 6

Karuna


This morning's meditation focused on karuna (compassion) for a change of pace. Karuna seems to be a refinement of metta -- metta tuned to a deeper pitch. It's a rich and resonant contemplation -- I see suffering everywhere, in everyone, and karuna is a natural response.

There was a realization in the midst of all this. Recently I've been plagued with self-loathing thoughts along the nature of what a failure I am, what a waste this life has been, and so on. How I haven't accomplished anything. But in this meditation it was clear that this is what truly matters, this is my life's work. Following the path is what gives my life meaning, and not some foolish notions of worldly accomplishment (that I internalized from my dad...).

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?