Wednesday, June 9

Geeking Out (Not In A Bad Way)


There is a certain geeky pleasure I'm deriving from messing about with Xcode, looking at the books "Learning Cocoa With Objective-C" and "The C Programming Language". I'm not really trying to produce anything. If I wanted to actually make something, I'd use SuperCard, and I'd have something usable with much less time and effort. No. I'm doing this for the fun of learning new things. One definition of "nerd" is someone who studies excessively... ;-) See also: grind, swot, and wonk.

Good news, courtesy of the Wikipedia article on Objective-C:
Objective-C is a very "thin" layer on top of C. In fact it includes only one syntax change and about a dozen new key words. Objective-C is a strict superset of C. That is, you can compile any C program with an Objective-C compiler and obtain a meaningful executable, which can't be said of C++.

So also getting "The C Programming Language" really was a good idea after all. Nice to have that reassurance.

Learning Cocoa

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?