Monday, June 21

Five Subjects for Frequent Reflection


In Pali and in English, from "A Chanting Guide."

(LEADER):
Handa maya"m abhi.nha-paccavekkha.na-paatha"m bha.naama se:
Let us now recite the passage for frequent recollection:

(ALL):
Jaraa-dhammomhi jara"m anatiito.
I am subject to aging. Aging is unavoidable.

Byaadhi-dhammomhi byaadhi"m anatiito.
I am subject to illness. Illness is unavoidable.

Mara.na-dhammomhi mara.na"m anatiito.
I am subject to death. Death is unavoidable.

Sabbehi me piyehi manaapehi naanaa-bhaavo vinaa-bhaavo.
I will grow different, separate from all that is dear & appealing to me.

Kammassakomhi kamma-daayaado kamma-yoni kamma-bandhu kamma-pa.tisara.no.
I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and live dependent on my actions.

Ya"m kamma"m karissaami kalyaa.na"m vaa paapaka"m vaa tassa daayaado bhavissaami.
Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.

Eva"m amhehi abhi.nha"m paccavekkhitabba"m.
We should often reflect on this.

-----
Regarding Pali words: I notice that the word here for illness, "byaadhi" seems to be related to the word for fear, "bhaya."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?